What to Do After a Car Accident in Rhode Island
The law office of Raymond A. Pacia devotes a significant portion of its practice to handling personal injury claims on behalf of auto accident victims in Pawtucket, Providence and throughout Rhode Island. We provide the following information to help you identify your responsibilities and determine your best course of action after being involved in a car accident.
What to Do at the Scene of a Car Accident
When you are in a serious auto accident, it can be hard to focus on anything other than the physical and emotional aftermath. However, obtaining as much pertinent information as possible is important to protecting your rights, ensuring a maximum insurance settlement, or to substantiate a lawsuit if necessary.
First, call 911 to contact the police, or to receive immediate medical attention if necessary. An officer will come to the scene and conduct an investigation. If an officer does not come to the scene, make a written report at the police department as soon as possible. You and the other driver should show each other your drivers' licenses and car registrations. Take down the following information from the other driver:
- The driver's name, address and date of birth
- His or her driver's license number
- Car insurance information
- The make and model of the vehicle
- License plate number
If possible, take photos of the scene, and make note of the direction and position of each vehicle after the accident. Also, write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer after a Car Accident
In most cases, people who hire an attorney to represent them after a car accident receive more compensation than those who do not hire a lawyer, even after the attorney's fees are paid. The law office of Ray Pacia can help in the following ways:
- Insurance companies will try to settle your case for the lowest possible amount. An experienced attorney understands the true value of your injury claim and can advise you on whether to settle or pursue additional compensation.
- Insurance companies will try to settle your case early, before all of your expenses are known. A personal injury lawyer recognizes that serious injuries can have consequences long after the accident, and will help make sure that these losses are covered.
- Insurance companies have their own lawyers working to limit your financial recover. Having your own lawyer levels the playing field―you have your own legal advocate dedicated to protecting your interests.
Contact an Experienced Rhode Island Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been in a car accident, contact Attorney Ray Pacia for legal advice and representation. He has more than 30 years of experience handling personal injury claims in Rhode Island.